The first day of school is one of the MOST exciting days of the year! Regardless of if you choose to homeschool or if your kids are heading off to a local brick-and-mortar school… the first day of school is a blur of excitement, jitters, and new routines.
One of our FAVORITE first day of school traditions is to throw a little party on the first day! We eat a special breakfast and put out special signs to celebrate new beginnings.
I like to celebrate at breakfast since the kids are usually exhausted by dinner on their first day. But, you could easily adapt this to be a special dessert or celebrate any other time of day!
If you are looking for a low-prep, but unique way to celebrate your children this school year, I have something for you! The Back to School Breakfast Party Kit!
This kit gives you all the printables you need to create a fun, memorable, first day of school breakfast!
Pair the printable kit with the Apple Streusel Muffin recipe below and you’ll create a fun breakfast tradition for the first day back to school.
First Day of School Breakfast Recipe
Apple Muffins with Streusel
-1 cup apples shredded
-1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
-½ cup oats
-¾ cup sugar
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon salt
-½ teaspoon baking soda
-½ teaspoon cinnamon
-½ teaspoon nutmeg
-½ cup oil
-½ cup sour cream
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-½ cup dried cranberries
-½ cup pecans
-½ cup flour
-½ cup brown sugar
-6 Tablespoons Butter, room temp
-½ teaspoon cinnamon
-Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Mix flour, oats, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, sugar, oil, sour cream, vanilla, and shredded apples. Slowly add the flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix until well blended.
- Fold cranberries and pecans in (if you are using them) to this batter.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins until cups are about ¾ full (batter does not rise much).
- Mix flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt for the streusel topping until crumbly and butter mixed in well.
- Sprinkle each muffin with approximately 1 tablespoon of streusel topping on each muffin.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, after 5 minutes remove muffins from the pan and place them on a cooling rack.
Yields approximately 14 muffins.
First Day of School Breakfast Party Kit
If you want to take your party up a notch, grab the printable Party Kit for only $5!
This kit is designed to pair with the muffins (or cupcakes, should you choose!).
Inside the Printable Breakfast Party Kit, you will get directions and a supply list, and 7 pages of printables to create your own First Day Breakfast Party!
The printables included are:
-Happy First Day Note
-Back to School Printable Sign
You can grab your printable kit HERE for only $5!
Have a wonderful first day of school and enjoy a brand new year with your kids!